Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I missed it

Today is Oct 16 in Saipan, but it is Oct 15 in the mainland. While skimming through my blog feeds on Google Reader, I saw that it was Blog Action Day.

What is Blog Action Day?

"On October 15th, bloggers around the web will unite to put a single important issue on everyone’s mind - the environment. Every blogger will post about the environment in their own way and relating to their own topic. Our aim is to get everyone talking towards a better future."

So, here is my little bit. I married a Tree Hugger. So that has made me a Tree Hugger by association. I don't bring things home from elsewhere, disassemble it, and then recycle it like DH does (the broken paper shredder at work), but I try to do my part. I could wax poetic about cloth diapers, making your own baby food, clothes line drying, no airconditioning, no hot water heater, etc. ad nauseum. But I won't.

I am a woman on a mission. A knitting and crocheting mission. I have joined the plastic bag crusade. I am crocheting a plastic market bag out of...plastic bags. We use canvas bags when we shop at the farmer's market and the grocery store, but somehow we still manage to have bags of bags stored under the sink. Plastic bags are going to take over the world. Even if I stop somewhere to get an iced tea while out, the clerk will try to put my one bottle in a plastic bag. When I say "No bag", they look at me like I have spiders coming out of my nose.

DH has even helped out:

Here is what I have so far:
I got the pattern in one of those "Crochet-Pattern-A-Day" calendars, but here is the same one, for free!

Peace.

6 comments:

Kendra said...

Great idea! Too bad I don't know how to crochet...

We keep a small stash of plastic bags in the garage to use around the house for various things, but we take most of them to Wal-Mart and put them in their bag recycle bins. Unless one has gotten really nasty-dirty, I just can't bring myself to throw them away.

Michelle said...

Great idea! I can't wait to see your finished bag.

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm placing my order for Kelsey. She has been shopping around for a bag to carry her books in from class to class. This looks like a perfect solution. Are you willing to make one for her. I can send you more bags if you need them. I think they are awesome.

You have really had me thinking about all the clothes and stuff I buy. Now everytime I shop I can't help but think of you. I ask myself, "do I really need another _____?" So in lieu of buying new clothes, I have instead tried to spruce up my accessories. Although they cost just about as much as new clothing.

Any who, you are making a difference in the example you set. God bless you!!!

Kalu V said...

oh thats such a cool idea!

by the way you were given the "You Make Me Smile Award" in my blog

hope you, hubby and connor are doing great
lotsa of hugs

Meari said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

The bag looks cool and it is a good way to recycle some of the plastic bags.