Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Corn Bread

Since I spent the vast majority on Messenger this morning with Stels, I felt I ought to do something house-wifey today. I was straightening up the kitchen. And I mean that in the loosest sense possible. Putting away the toaster and wiping up the counter basically. Later I plan on making some cookies or brownies, but I came across this recipe that is scribbled on a scrap of paper (DH's doing) and thought I would pass it along. Besides my robot is vaccuming the dog hair off the tiles right now.

Now, if you like cornbread, you will probably like this. It is a little spicy (which you can control), and the consistency is a little softer, not quite like pudding...hard to describe. Certainly not dry like most cornbreads out there. Give it a whirl, it is good! I have been living on the stuff for the past few days so I know.

Oh, by the way...about the recipes that I post / use. They won't be low fat or low cal. Sorry. That doesn't happen on my watch. If I am going to go through the effort to make it, I want it to taste good.

Corn Bread

1 c butter, melted
1 c sugar
4 eggs
1 can of corn (can probably use creamed)
1 can of chopped chilies
1 c cheese, shredded (sharp cheddar tastes great)
1 c flour
1 c cornmeal (we use Bob's Red Mill or something)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (we use kosher)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix your wet ingredients together. Mix your dry ingredients together. Add your dry to your wet and mix completely. Grease a baking dish (8 x 11) and bake at 300 degrees for abut 1 hour or until top is brown and toothpick comes out clean. I usually cut while hot.

Delish!

1 comment:

Emily said...

How funny! I am in the process of making cornbread as a kind of "authentic" American food for a potluck with my Korean ESL students. We hoosiers from the dirty south are fanatical about our cornbread, and it's one of the foods I missed most while spending a year in Japan.

(This is Emily from the Saipan Blog, by the way.)

P.S. The House of Blues rosemary cornbread is the best I've ever tasted, though ridiculously bad for you. Recipe at:

http://www.nola.com/food/t-p/recipes.ssf?skillet_baked_rosemary_corn_bread_with_maple_butter.html